You can make great strides in your career without spending long days and nights at the office. Alternatively, advancing your career is the result of several small strategies. However, none of these tips are likely to make a significant difference alone. The results, are impactful when combined.
Boost your career and increase your paycheck with these strategies:
- Be reliable. We’ve all worked with untrustworthy employees. For instance, he was the one person that you knew wouldn’t be able to keep his promises. Avoid establishing a similar reputation. If you say you’re going to do something, do it. Be 100% reliable at all times.
- Be on time. Whether it’s for work or a meeting, always be on time. Do you control your time or allow it to control you? On the contrary, avoid being too early for meetings. You’ll appear to have too much free time. Five minutes early is perfect.
- Always have your work done on time. Allow yourself to impress. If you can do something by Wednesday, tell your boss you’ll complete it on Friday and turn it in early. For example, consider that most people do the opposite and get themselves in trouble.
- Dress for success. In fact, candidates that look the part get the part. Always dress up one level from your peers. Strive to dress like your boss. Without a doubt, you’ll be surprised how much of a difference it makes.
- Keep your resume up to date. Keep your resume current and fresh. For instance, spend a few minutes each month to add new, relevant information to your resume to prepare for a good opportunity.
- Reach out to recruiters. Truly, most recruiters receive a commission. If you let them know you exist, you can be sure they’ll call you when something suitable hits their radar. Additionally, many recruiters find potential job candidates via LinkedIn.com. Ensure you’re registered.
- Enhance your public speaking abilities. Few of us enjoy public speaking, but those with good presentation skills are in high demand. However, since so few people dare to build their skills, becoming an effective public speaker isn’t too challenging. There isn’t a lot of competition.
- Toastmasters International is hard to beat if you seek a respected training program.
- Be indispensable. Some employees are so vital that the company goes out of its way to make them happy. Be sure your employer needs you. Likewise, find an important task and master it.
- Is your company looking for volunteers to learn a new software program? Are they looking for auditors? Is there an opportunity to take on additional responsibilities? Be sure any extra work is relevant.
- Is a long-time employee leaving? Ask if you can fill some of the gaps created by her departure.
- Find a mentor. Clearly, the right mentor will take pride in helping you advance your career. A mentor can provide invaluable advice and introduce you to others who can benefit you. Specifically, most successful corporate employees benefited from one or more mentors along the way.
In short, avoid following the herd at work. Even though the average employee decides to do minimal work to keep their paycheck. Above all, standing out from the pack isn’t complicated by being more conscientious. Are you ready to take your career to the next level? Boost your career today by excelling at the little things. Find a mentor, too. You’ll be glad you did!